mold2Some people are sensitive to molds, and for them, exposure to molds can cause symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation. The effects of mold on people may be more severe depending on the level of exposure over time, like workers exposed to large amounts of molds in occupational settings. Severe reactions may include fever and shortness of breath. Some people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may develop mold infections in their lungs.

In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people, with asthma symptoms in people with asthma, and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition. The IOM also found limited or suggestive evidence linking indoor mold exposure and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children.

Persons exposed to high spore levels can become sensitized and develop allergies to the mold or other health problems. Mold growth can damage your furnishings, such as carpets, sofas and cabinets. Clothes and shoes in damp closets can become soiled. In time, unchecked mold growth can cause serious damage to the structural elements in your home.

The effects of mold on people can be varied from minimal to very extreme. Some people are more susceptible than others to mold-related health problems due to factors such as age, relative overall health, allergies, and existing respiratory ailments. Because of this, even small levels of mold spores can be potentially dangerous. To find out if your health is at risk, give us a call today: (303) 257-8994